Old House, New HomeMay 5, 2020
I Remember / Is Cuimhin LiomMay 7, 2020
Shout Out to the excellent folks at Waterford County Museum, who have compiled a directory of Facebook History Groups operating in Waterford (list below), with a brief guide to their specialisation.
As they mention, if you have a historical question relating to Waterford, you’ll probably find an answer here.
- Ardmore Grange Heritage Group – founded to preserve, protect and promote the rich and diverse heritage of Ardmore and Grange.
- Ballinacourty Times Past – sharing history, stories and photos from times past in Ballinacourty.
- Ballyduff Upper History & Heritage Club – a community-run club preserving the history of Ballyduff Upper.
- Ballyvoyle History Group – a community group with a focus on the area of Ballyvoyle near Stradbally.
- Barony of Gaultier Historical Society – this group focuses on the coastal villages of Cheekpoint, Passage East and Dunmore East.
- Cappoquin Heritage Group – preserving and promoting awareness of Cappoquin’s rich local heritage in as many ways as possible. A non-profit voluntary group under the umbrella of Cappoquin Civic Link.
- Copper Coast Geopark – the Copper Coast UNESCO Geopark is famed for its geological and mining heritage and rugged coastline. Discover more at the Geopark Visitor Centre.
- Déise Medieval – a Waterford-based amateur society for living history and medieval combat enthusiasts.
- Lismore Heritage Centre – housed in the old Lismore Courthouse it offers visitors and locals a unique insight into Lismore’s rich history.
- Mallow Fermoy Lismore Waterford Railway & Branch Lines – recording the railway, past and present, with text, photographs and maps.
- Portlaw Heritage Centre – helping to protect and preserve the history of Portlaw.
- Stradbally, Co. Waterford – Present and Past – a community archive for Stradbally, recalling times past and recording times present.
- Waterford Archaeological & Historical Society – publishers of the historical journal Decies. The society organises an annual lecture series from September to May as well as historical outings in the summer months.
- Waterford City and County Archive –the local authority archive for the city and county of Waterford. The archive collects archives and records of the history and development of the city and county and provides access to these records to the public. A fantastic resource.
- Waterford Civic Trust– a voluntary organisation whose purpose is the enrichment, preservation, protection, promotion and improvement of heritage in Waterford city.
- Waterford County Museum – Dungarvan-based volunteer-run museum preserving Co. Waterford’s history.
- Waterford Community Archaeology:Gallowshill – A sub section of Waterford County Museum, this Dungarvan-based volunteer-run group focus on community archaeology.
- Waterford Harbour Tides & Tales – A project run by Andrew Doherty. With a focus on the Cheekpoint area and Waterford Harbour Andrew is particularly strong on Waterford’s maritime history.
- Waterford Maritime History group – Waterford Maritime history and especially ships and shipping movements.
- Waterford Treasures – three museums in the Viking Triangle, the historic quarter of Ireland’s oldest city.
A news blog with all the latest items of interest from Waterford City & County Council, Ireland.